Signs of Termite Infestation
Termites are one of the most destructive pests in our area. Damage can be devastating to your residential or commercial property if left untreated.
The following list includes some of the most common signs of termite infestation. It’s recommended that you have your home or business inspected by a professional Pensacola termite control company like Extreme Termite and Pest Control.
- Live termites: The King and Queen reproductive termites are 1/2″ long, winged and are brown or black in color. Worker termites are usually hidden inside infested wood. They are 1/4″ long, white color and wingless. The absence of live termites does NOT mean that they are not present in the structure.
- The finding of a “swarm” – a group of adult male and female termites that leave their nest to establish a new colony. Swarms are commonly known to look like flying ants. Swarming is most common in the Spring seasons (March, April, May, June) and occasionally during Fall (September and October). Finding swarmers indoors often means you have a termite infestation.
- Finding piles of wings. Shedding swarmers indicate termites have entered their next phase of development.
- Mud tunnels. Termites eat at wood, leaving only a thin layer left on the surface. Eventually this layer is broken and termites will cover the holes with mud like material used to make tubes. This is a mixture of saliva, feces, and dirt. These are called mud tunnels, used to connect their nest to the food source (wood) and usually are found in the walls of buildings in an irregular pattern.
- Damaged wood: Wood may appear crushed at structural bearing points and may have tiny holes. Termite damaged wood resonates with a dull thud (hollow sound) when tapped. Buckling paint is also a sign of termites.
The rate at which termite damage occurs can be relatively slow, but will cause extensive damage and even sickness to your loved ones. If you find termites in or around your property, it is important that you Do Not Disturb them and promptly arrange for a professional inspection and application of a treatment to kill the live termites.
It’s important to use a reliable termite inspection company like Extreme Termite and Pest Control. We want you to have a peace of mind, let us protect your home or business with our high quality termite treatment that will eliminate the termites and also prevent them. Call us today at (850) 492-9225 to get your termite protection!
Posted in termites